Foundation, Target, Reach and Lottery Schools
As juniors are beginning to investigate colleges and make an initial college list, we want to define the different categories potentially included in a balanced college list. A balanced college list should have at least 2 foundation, 2 target and 2 reach schools. Many students will also have a few lottery schools. The typical student applies to between 8-12 schools, depending on the number of UC/CSU schools on his/her list. All of our students begin with a list of at least 20 schools to investigate in an effort to determine personal priorities. By mid summer, students should have a balanced list of 8-12 schools. .
- The college possesses most of the significant features you desire and are important to you.
- You meet all the requirements for the recommended coursework.
- Your SAT or ACT score is significantly above the average that was accepted last year.
- Your un-weighted GPA is significantly above the average accepted last year.
- Your objective academic credentials fall at the top of the college’s admitted class. (more…)