Building a Balanced College List
Foundation, Target, Reach and Lottery Schools
As juniors are beginning to investigate colleges and make an initial college list, we want to define the different categories potentially included in a balanced college list. A balanced college list should have at least 2 foundation, 2 target and 2 reach schools. Many students will also have a few lottery schools. The typical student applies to between 8-12 schools, depending on the number of UC/CSU schools on his/her list. All of our students begin with a list of at least 20 schools to investigate in an effort to determine personal priorities. By mid summer, students should have a balanced list of 8-12 schools. .
- The college possesses most of the significant features you desire and are important to you.
- You meet all the requirements for the recommended coursework.
- Your SAT or ACT score is significantly above the average that was accepted last year.
- Your un-weighted GPA is significantly above the average accepted last year.
- Your objective academic credentials fall at the top of the college’s admitted class. (more…)